Let’s start today’s post with a bit of irony. The quest to get both girls down for their naps started at noon and finally ended with success at 1:30. When I thought I got one of them down, the other started crying. I was up on my feet rocking Joelle then reading to Corrine in the rocker. And then repeated this process. Now, my back and neck hurts. The irony is that I canceled my 2pm chiropractor appointment so the girls could have their full nap time. Ugh seriously… little one is crying again! I’ll be back.
I’ll note it’s now 2pm. I should have been getting back pain relief from the chiro, yet I sit here in a quiet house. I’ll take that too.
I have some confessions I’d like to make as a new mom to two kids under two (it’s all in good fun, friends).
- I sometimes don’t turn on the baby monitor in Corrine’s room during a nap. I’m pretty sure she’ll be ok. She’s still in a crib so aside from throwing herself over the edge to get out, I’m pretty sure she’ll be ok. Although, yesterday when she finally did get up from her nap, she had a diaper full of poo. That might have been why I heard the faint cries coming from her room. Whoopsie.
- When I’m really frustrated and need Joelle to sleep, I will sing a made up song in parentese with some questionable lyrics. Define parentese: high pitched way of speaking to infants and toddlers usually delivered in a cooing pattern. I use the added touch of speaking the words I actually want to say at 3 o’clock in the morning and she doesn’t understand a word I’m saying. When do they actually catch on to what I’m saying? Kinda reminds me of this book:
- After a long hard day (kinda like today and yesterday and the day before), I will gladly mow the lawn in triple digit heat index as long as it will get me away from the constant mommy mommy mommy (Yes, I still love you Corrine) and constant suckling from my newborn (Yes, I still love you too Joelle). True story. This happened yesterday. My husband must have thought I was crazy to volunteer to mow the lawn. But the thought of him out there leaving me alone with the kids after he just got home from the gym seemed…….. unfair to me.
All in good fun, right moms. Can you relate? What things would you confess to?
I will note that it’s now close to 3pm. In the time it took me to write the above text, I had to soothe Joelle back to sleep two more times. Gotta love the newborn stage. I need a drink.
So an afternoon like this calls for a cold beverage and since I’m not one for drinking before 5pm, I’ll have to settle for a smoothie. But I think the next time I use my Vitamix it will involve this recipe.
Here’s what I’m blending up today:
- 1 1/2 c spinach (for iron and Vit A)
- 2 frozen bananas (for sweetness)
- 1/4 c frozen blueberries (for antioxidants, color and flavor)
- 1/4 c frozen pineapple (for sweetness and flavor)
- 1/2 c vanilla greek yogurt (for protein)
- enough water to get it moving
Blend up and happy drinking!